Saturday, April 23, 2011

WNTT - Fashion - Poetry

I like this What Not To Teach project. I am actually in the middle of a poetry unit with my partner teacher. This is the perfect opportunity to do this WNTT project. This is the first year of teaching for my partner. She is actually bringing in a ton of new ideas on how to introduce poetry to our 7th and 8th graders. In the past, other LA teachers have read to the students from their literature book or brought in short poetry books for them to look at. This year she is having the students create poet projects, their own poems, they are sharing their poetry with the younger students in our school, and she is all around getting them interested in poetry. She started the unit by having them listen to music and to try to find the poetry in each song. This was a cool example and way for the students to get introduced to poetry with modern “poets” instead of long dead ones! So far the students are enjoying poetry which is something I don’t think I would have said before!

No comments:

Post a Comment