Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hooks (from March 24)

“The hook brings you back…” – Blues Travelers
“Check out my hook as my DJ revolves it.” – Vanilla Ice
These are some fun examples of hooks used in songs. They blatantly point it out but there really isn’t a need to. Based on repetition and the change up of music we know it’s there. I also think of the hook as something that sticks in your head and you are constantly singing it over and over.
 I tried focusing on a hook for my social studies lessons the past few days. I actually sat down and wrote out my lesson like I normally do. Then I looked at it and asked “what is going to stick in their heads about this lesson?” We are currently learning about the civil war. For one lesson we were learning about John Brown and the book actually talked about the song about John Brown. Of course I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to add a “hook” but also incorporate music with the lesson. Most of the students knew the tune from movies. Most of them walked to lunch marching and humming the tune! (Another hook??) The song actually provides details from John Brown’s life that was also featured in their textbook. A lot of them actually pointed this out without any prompting from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment